We’ve known almost since the beginning of the pandemic that people with certain chronic conditions are hit hard by coronavirus. If they get infected, they are much more likely to get a severe case and die.
A new study reveals specifically which conditions are most dangerous.
Researchers at Tufts University discovered that two-thirds of hospitalized coronavirus patients have at least one of four chronic ailments.
The scientists looked at 906,849 COVID hospitalizations among American adults. They found:
- 30% (274,322) suffered from obesity.
- 26% (237,738) had high blood pressure.
- 21% (185,678) had diabetes.
- 12% (106,139) had heart failure.
The mathematical model used by the researchers suggests that these patients would not have gotten severely ill with COVID if they hadn’t had one of these four pre-existing conditions.
The study may explain at least part of the reason the U.S. has been hit harder by COVID-19 than other countries. The U.S. leads the world with more than 500,000 coronavirus deaths. That’s more than twice as many as any other country. 
More than 70 million Americans are obese and more than 100 million have diabetes or prediabetes. Another 68 million have hypertension.
The Tufts researchers noted that lifestyle changes to reduce these conditions could be a powerful weapon to fight the pandemic.
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian led the study. “We know that changes in diet alone, even without weight loss, rapidly improve metabolic health within just six to eight weeks,” he said. “It’s crucial to test such lifestyle approaches for reducing severe COVID-19 infections.”
Of course, that’s what Health Watch is all about: We’re here to bring you natural, science-based strategies to improve your health.
If you have any of the four conditions that lead to severe COVID, click on the links below to discover how to improve your health:
- If you have weight issues, CLICK HERE.
- If you have high blood pressure, CLICK HERE.
- If you have diabetes, CLICK HERE.
- If you have heart health issues, CLICK HERE.
One of the best ways to protect yourself during the pandemic is to improve your overall health. You can count on Health Watch to bring you the latest research to help you stay safe.
- Are COVID Vaccines Safe? A new report provides detailed side effect information. Click HERE to read more.
- NEW COVID TREATMENT HOPE: She lay dying of COVID-19 on a ventilator in a Buffalo hospital. Doctors gave her just a 20% chance to live. But after getting this treatment, she made “a complete turnaround,” her son said. Click HERE to read more.
- Will You Suffer an Allergic Reaction to the Coronavirus Vaccine? Answer these four question to gauge your risk. Click HERE to read more.