Now, new research shows that walnuts may provide an even more important health benefit…they suppress cancer.
The study came from Marshall University. It was based on previous knowledge that eating walnuts lowers breast cancer risk and slows its growth.
Dr. W. Elaine Hardman said her team wanted to see if “walnut consumption would alter gene expression” and “decrease breast cancer growth and survival.”
The scientists randomly placed breast cancer patients in either a walnut-eating group or a control group. All subjects had their cancer biopsied at the start of the trial.
The walnut group ate two ounces of walnuts a day for two weeks. Then biopsies were done again. Tumor genes were significantly changed in the walnut group. Pathways that promote apoptosis (cancer cell death) were promoted and those that promote cancer growth were inhibited.
Dr. Hardman said the results “support the hypothesis that, in humans, walnut consumption could suppress growth and survival of breast cancers.”
Eat Walnuts Every Day
To reap the cancer-suppressing benefits described in the study, eat about 28 walnut halves a day. That’s about 2 ounces, the same serving used in the study.
You’ll be getting a lot more than cancer protection. Like all tree nuts, walnuts are one of the healthiest foods on the planet Tree nuts contain:
- Unsaturated fats, such as heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, which are linked to multiple cardiovascular and brain benefits.
- Fiber, which increases satiety and helps prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Vitamin E, which helps stop development of plaques in coronary arteries.
- Plant sterols, which help lower cholesterol.
- L-arginine, which make the linings of arteries more flexible and less susceptible to blood clots.
Editor’s Note: If you’re worried about cancer, you need to read Independent Healing, your best source for unbiased medical information. Discover The Cancer Kill Code. It’s a secret natural trigger that detonates cancer’s self-destruct button. Find out more HERE.