It’s one of those foods that most people think they need to eat more of. That starting your day with it is a good way to help boost your health. And you can’t blame them for thinking that.
The government’s Choose My Plate program says you should eat it every day for vitamin D3, potassium, and calcium. In the U.K., the Dairy Council promotes eating it as a way to help aid weight loss…even control digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome.
It sounds like something you should be going out of your way to get more of. But new research reveals this “health food” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
Researchers in Spain looked at the diets of 4,445 adults over the course of three and a half years. They found people who ate this every day saw no more benefit than those who had it a few times a week. In fact, they weren’t any healthier than people who never ate this food.
The authors concluded that those who ate this product regularly, “did not display any significant improvement in their . . . physical component of quality of life.”
Their bones weren’t stronger. They didn’t lose any more weight. And they weren’t living any longer.
When it comes to your health, it would be bad enough if eating this food was useless. But the truth is this wholesome food could be a quiet killer.Click here to read the full issue...
If you’ve been reading Health Watch, you know we’ve been talking a lot about them lately…and for good reason. Nuts are more than a good snack. Eating them is an easy way to boost your health. They may even help add years to your life.
Here are the five most healthful nuts you can eat.
1. Almonds: Regular nut eaters have a lower risk of death from cancer.1 And just half a cup of almonds helps prevent colon cancer by 25%. It’s because of their magnesium and fiber content. Every 100 mg of magnesium you eat helps lower your colon cancer risk by 13%.2
Eating almonds also had an effect against aberrant crypt foci (ACF). These are clusters of glands that form before abnormal tissue starts growing. ACF is the first sign of colon cancer. One study found an almond-based diet lowered ACF in rats by 30-40%.
2. Walnuts: Adding them to your diet is a great way to protect your heart. In fact, the FDA tried to label these nuts a heart drug. But walnuts put prescription drugs to shame. One study found men getting 30% of their dietary fat from walnuts lowered their cholesterol by 10% in a month.3
Walnuts are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. It’s why eating a handful of them a day can keep your brain sharp. Research shows walnut consumption improved memory, concentration, and coordination in people regardless of age.
3. Pistachios: A Spanish study found a diet high in pistachios helped make subjects’ bodies almost 80% more efficient at using glucose. It means their cells needed less fuel to function at full power.
Pistachios are also a good source of antioxidants that can help lower your lung cancer risk. And eating them is a good way to help add protein to your diet between meals. This will help keep you feeling full—and even help your body burn fat.
4. Cashews: Cashews are a good source of magnesium. It’s a mineral that fights cancer and prevents diabetes. Eating them may even help you live a longer life. But that’s not the only reason to get more of them…
One study of over 80,000 women found eating cashews once a week helped lower gallstone risk by 25%.4 Developing one—or several—can interfere with digestion and damage your pancreas.
5. Brazil Nuts: No other nut gives you as much selenium. Keeping your levels high helps reinforce your immunity. It may even lower your risk of heart disease by over 20%…and help you build a stronger thyroid.
Men may benefit the most from eating these exotic nuts… That’s because the selenium in just one to two Brazil nuts gives you enough selenium to raise your body’s natural testosterone production.5
Just adding a few handfuls of nuts a day is enough. Try mixing them up to get the best results. But don’t settle for the stuff in the snack aisle. Buy your nuts fresh, raw, and unsalted whenever possible.
In Good Health,
Publisher, INH Health Watch
Health Watch readers know there are many factors that put your heart health at risk. And not just the obvious ones like smoking and being overweight. There are the heart drugs your doctor will try to prescribe to tame your blood pressure. Even the air we breathe could be putting this organ in direct danger.
But research shows there’s another factor at play… One you may not give a second thought to. …
We’ve told you before… Inactivity kills.
Studies have shown being sedentary can increase your risk of cancer by 50%. Just sitting for too long can raise your risk. So the solution is simple… Stay active and lower your odds. Even just housework or gardening can get your blood flowing.
But if you really want to live a longer, healthier life, you’ll have to do more. Don’t worry, not much… …