Test of the air in dentist offices found dangerous levels of mercury, a potent brain toxin.

Tests Show Air in Dental Clinics Is Poisoned With Mercury

In All Health Watch, Cognitive Health, Featured Article by INH Research1 Comment

A trip to your dentist’s office could be even scarier than you think.

Recent testing finds that mercury in the air can reach 30 times the safe limit set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.1

The World Health Organization warns that exposure to mercury, even in tiny amounts, causes serious health issues… Including brain damage. Other problems include depression, tremors, and organ damage.2,3,4

The high mercury vapor levels in dental offices would cause any other business to be shuttered. But for years the powerful American Dental Association (ADA) has blocked regulation of dental mercury. They have defended its safety despite global studies showing its toxic effects.5

Situation in Dental Clinics Is ‘Nuts’

Alex Hummel is CEO of Mercury Instruments USA. His company makes equipment to analyze airborne mercury. He describes the situation in dental clinics as “nuts.”

If non-dental businesses had the same mercury levels as dentist offices, “They would be closing their doors and getting respirators on,” he said.

For years the ADA has lobbied the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ignore the dangers of mercury amalgams fillings. They have had them exempted from regulations controlling mercury.

Why? It would cost the dental industry big bucks to eliminate or control the dangers.

The ADA has even gone so far as to bar member dentists from telling patients that mercury compounds could harm their health.

Mercury Fillings Banned Abroad… But not in U.S.

Many countries already ban mercury fillings. These include Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Japan.

But even if the U.S. enacted such a ban, it wouldn’t eliminate the risks. That’s because 181 million Americans have existing mercury fillings in their teeth, according to the most recent estimates.6

When dentists work on those fillings—such as when they are drilled out for replacement—mercury can release into the air. This threatens both patients and health workers.

You can take steps to safeguard yourself:

  • First, make sure your dentist is not currently using mercury fillings. There are new non-toxic resins that work just as well.
  • Go to early morning appointments. This is when mercury levels are likely to be lowest.
  • Go to a dental office that has installed a mercury elimination system. This is equipment that filters the air.
  • Wear long sleeves and long pants when you go to the dentist. This prevents skin exposure. Wash your clothes when you get home.
  • Ask your doctor if he or she uses a device called a high-speed oral vacuum. This device removes released mercury particles immediately during procedures.

Mercury is one the world’s most potent neurotoxins. You don’t want it in your mouth… And you certainly don’t want to breathe it when you’re at the dentist.

In Good Health,

Angela Salerno
Publisher, INH Health Watch

Like this Article? Forward this article here or Share on Facebook.

References:
1http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article53122320.html
2http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article53122150.html
3http://www.greenfacts.org/en/mercury/l-2/mercury-2.htm
4http://www.epa.gov/mercury/health-effects-exposures-mercury
5http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article53122150.html
6http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article53122150.html

Comments

  1. I have one silver filling left in my mouth that needs to be removed. How do I find a dentist that is qualified to do this job that is near Polk City, FL?

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.