We pop one or two when we feel pain, and don’t really think about it.
And Big Pharma encourages us that they are “safe, fast, and effective” for relieving temporary aches and fever.1
Many of us have started taking these drugs in place of Tylenol, which is linked to liver damage… Or aspirin, which can cause stomach bleeding.
But these medications are not safe alternatives. They cause up to 16,000 deaths per year…and send 100,000 people to the emergency room. And now the FDA is forcing Big Pharma to clearly warn that the little pills can cause heart attacks and strokes.
What are these killers?
Ibuprofen, sold as Motrin and Advil… And naproxen, sold as Aleve. They are known as NSAIDs—non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.2
The FDA is so concerned about the new evidence of deadly side effects, they are updating the product labels. They will include specific warnings about heart attack and stroke dangers that can lead to death.
Recent studies show NSAIDs increase the risk of atrial fibrillation. This is a rapid and weak heartbeat. It can lead to a heart attack or a stroke. And the longer you take NSAIDs, the worse. But there’s risk even if you take them a short while.
Dr. Judy Racoosin is a deputy director with the FDA. She is blunt about the dangers of these drugs. “There is no period of use shown to be without risk,” she said.3
Studies have shown that people who have heart disease are at greatest risk… Particularly those who have had a heart attack or bypass surgery. NSAIDs increase their chance for another heart attack and death.
But you can replace NSAIDs with effective, safe, and natural alternatives:
- Turmeric reduces pain from muscle pulls and other injuries. A typical turmeric supplement dose is 400-600 mg.4,5
- Willow bark contains salicin. This is the same compound in aspirin that relieves pain and inflammation. It treats headache, low back pain, menstrual cramps, fever, flu, tendonitis, bursitis and osteoarthritis. Take 1-3 grams.6
- Capsaicin is the compound in hot peppers that makes them spicy. It is applied as a topical treatment for arthritis.
- Bromelain is an extract of pineapple. It is effective in treating inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Take 250 mg twice daily.7
- Magnesium can be extremely effective for migraines. A recommended dosage is 400-600 mg.8
By using these natural products, many people are able to throw away their NSAIDs… And their worries about giving themselves a heart attack.
In Good Health,
Publisher, INH Health Watch