In Puerto Rico, everybody eats sofrito. It’s a condiment that is put on practically everything.
A new study shows that it may have powerful anti-cancer effects.
Researchers analyzed data on 314 Puerto Rican women who had breast cancer between 2008 and 2014.
The scientists also looked at a control group of 346 women. These subjects were from the same area and had never had a serious form of cancer.
The researchers found that the more sofrito women ate, the less likely they were to get cancer. Those who ate it more than once a day had a 67% lower cancer risk.
Breast cancer rates are lower in Puerto Rico than in the mainland U.S. And researchers believe sofrito may be the reason why.
Scientists suspect that the onions and garlic in sofrito are the key ingredients. The vegetables are rich in flavonols and organosulfur—compounds that have been found to fight cancer in previous studies. It’s possible the other ingredients play a role as well.
Easy Sofrito Recipe
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves
- ½ bunch of parsley leaves
1. Chop up the ingredients in pieces small enough to fit in a food processor or a blender. Remove any tough-looking stems.
2. Place the chopped ingredients in the blender or food processor.
3. Blend the ingredients well. The consistency should be like a thick paste, similar to pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste, if you like.
4. Store in a glass container.
You can keep sofrito in your freezer for up to year. It can be used as a base for stews and soups. It can also be used as a sauce for beans, rice, chicken dishes…anything you think it might go well with.
It’s a tasty way to lower your cancer risk.
Editor’s Note: If you’re worried about cancer, you need to read our monthly journal, Independent Healing. It’s your best source for unbiased, evidence-based medical advice. Discover The Cancer Kill Code. It’s a secret natural trigger that detonates cancer’s self-destruct button. Find out more HERE.