For decades, antibiotics were viewed as a miracle of medicine. They seemed to cure virtually any type of bacterial illness without side effects.
They worked so well that doctors prescribed them at the first sign of infection…even if the likely cause was a virus, which antibiotics don’t affect.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control say American doctors write 47 million unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions a year.
We have started giving them to farm animals. We even spray them on fruit trees.
But it’s becoming clear that our antibiotics binge has a dark side. We told you recently about research showing that they raise the risk for heart attack.
Now, a new study shows they increase your chances of getting cancer.
The research was published in the journal Gut. Investigators analyzed two decades of medical records from more than 166,000 people.
They discovered that people had a 9% higher risk of colon cancer if they had been on antibiotics for just two weeks during any time in the 20-year study period.
They had a 17% higher risk if they had taken antibiotics for more than 60 days.
Dr. Emmanouil Pappou was a study author. He said that the increased cancer risk of antibiotics makes it vital that you take them only “for a valid medical reason.”
5 Natural and Safe Antibiotic Alternatives
When you have an out-of-control bacterial infection, antibiotics can save your life. But it’s crucial you don’t take them unless you absolutely have to.
For minor infections, you can rely on natural antibiotics:
- Goldenseal (Hydrastis): This plant is native to the American Northwest. Supplements help treat sore throats and digestive infections.
- Manuka honey: This honey is made by bees in New Zealand and Australia. It comes from the nectar of the Manuka tree. Place a dab of it on cuts to stop them from getting infected.
- Oregon grape (Berberis Aquifolium): When used as a tea, it is effective against urinary tract and digestive infections.
- Garlic: It has been used as a medicine for thousands of years. Modern research confirms it works against common earaches, pneumonia, MRSA, the flu, and candida. Take garlic supplements to help fight these infections or as a preventive measure.
- Echinacea: Traditionally, echinacea was used to treat diphtheria, blood poisoning, and other bacterial diseases. Today it’s mostly used to fight viral infections such as colds and flu. It is effective against MRSA.
One more thing… If you must take an antibiotic for a serious bacterial infection, be sure to use a quality probiotic supplement afterward. It will help restore your body’s natural, healthy microbiome.
Editor’s Note: Ever wonder why some people seem to catch every bug that’s going around and others never get sick? Discover how to make your immune system so powerful that you won’t ever have to worry about getting colds and the flu. Read Independent Healing, your best source for unbiased, science-backed health solutions. Go HERE to subscribe.